Re: secession from India....

[Topics under debate]: GOOD GOVERNANCE
    Very good.  I am glad that we are having a professional debate instead of getting
bogged down with Roy etc.

    I believe this is a traditional thought.  That is, nation comes first.  Under
this premise, we ignore that individuals make up a nation.  I believe that
institutions such as Government of India, or even India as a nation is less important
than Indians.  If we defend the rights of Indians and provide maximum freedom then
Indians will naturally value and even die for such a free system.

    You put institutions above individuals.  The flaw in this model is that
institutions like Government of India have been abusing Indian Citizens since the
independence.  For example, the Indian Economy is in a poverty state because of mass
mismanagement and total disregard for individual rights.  I will mention a specific
example: if Indian citizens were allowed to own Internet Gateways as US citizens have
that right then India would become the largest Internet hub in the world without a
question.  Instead, what has been done is the Government of India (GoI) has given
itself the sole right to own Gateways through VSNL.  This abuse of power by an
institution remains unchecked even to this day and India is far behind other
countries in Internet services.  This is just one example where intitutional power
has been abused over individual power.  There are so many such examples in the
history of India since independence.

    Unless we empower individuals to do their best and vest them with power greater
than that of the institutions, you will continue to see abuse of power by such
organizations.  India as a whole will suffer from this.

    Let us even take Ford, Northrop, Bill Gates and many great industrialists who had
the freedom to build great companies in the US where individuals in India clearly
lack the freedom.  Why can't a Microsoft be created in India despite the abundance of
talent?  The reason is simple: lack of mobility and freedom for entreprenuers.  They
are better off coming to Silicon Valley to start their businesses where they have
adequate freedom from India's bureaucracy.  We can't blindly say "Jai Bharath Matha"
and claim to be patriotic.  We must realize that once the interest of individuals are
served then the interests of the nation will get addressed automatically because the
nation is made of individuals!!  This, of course, is a modern approach to improving
quality of life.

Sincerely,
Vamsi M.