Date:          Fri, 4 Jun 1999 21:24:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:          "Ram Narayanan" <loraln@worldnet.att.net>
To:            debate@indiapolicy.org
Subject:       Re: Dalits and Christian Dalits

[Topics under debate]: GOOD GOVERNANCE
The discussion on this subject seems to have ignored one important
factor.
During my last trip to India, I had an opportunity to discuss this very
question with some of my Dalit friends.  Practically all of them were
against the idea of extending the reservations presently applicable to
Hindu
Dalits  to Christian Dalits.

Their reason: The Christians are so WELL ORGANIZED through their
churches
and missionary organizations, unlike the Hindu Dalits , that the
Christians
will be able to corner most of the benefits and the Hindus will be left
high
and dry. This will also act as a POWERFUL  incentive for Dalits to get
converted to Christianity and add to social tensions.

I think this is an argument not be treated lightly.

Ram Narayanan

This is the National Debate on System Reform.
debate@indiapolicy.org
Rules, Procedures, Archives:
http://www.indiapolicy.org/debate/