RE: Dalits and Christian dalits

[Topics under debate]: GOOD GOVERNANCE

Bhuwan,

I think the professor and I are on the same turf, yes. Whereas I stress
the
need to consider economics, I do mean that aside from this, merit should
be
the sole criterion.

Perhaps, as you say, the professor's remedy is more pragmatic, i.e,
include
the Christian dalits in existing structures. Possibly, as you say, it is

harder to tell who is poor. Still, if we are going to act in a
particular
manner as a "pragmatic" alternative to the utopian objective!, it is
good to
record that the objective is the ideal case where caste and religion
would
not be factors. If we record that in the process of making practical
choices, then we can periodically revisit the idea to see if the ideal
has
become any more practical. Without that, we might simply latch on the
pragmatic alternative and begin to consider it the ideal itself.

I wonder if I said that with enough clarity!! Sounds a bit like a
tongue-twister. Sorry.

- ash