RE: Dalits and Christian dalits

[Topics under debate]: GOOD GOVERNANCE
Ash,

I think what the Prof. is suggesting as an alternative to your economics

yardstick is "merit" with special advantages given to the meritorious
Poor
to ensure that lack of money does not hinder their available
opportunities.
To me this appears like the best alternative though it would take a huge

effort to implement.

Categorising who is Poor is far more difficult than categorising who is
dalit. But this is a pragmatic approach. If done properly & with
creativity
then it could fundamentally change the paradigm of the caste system
since it
would give rise to a new form of social status - one of merit.

In a way therefore the best solution to the reservation issue is a
combination of your suggestions and the professor's.

Regards,

Bhuwan