Re: Electoral reform

[Topics under debate]: GOOD GOVERNANCE

I believe this effort is a good well intended effort but does not
address
the pragmatic approach. For one, I believe confining people within the
constituency would be undemocratic and does not achieve the desired
results.
The most important thing is to attract the right quality of people into
the
body politics. This is not a function of where the talent is. For
instance,
Pandit Jawaharlal Nehruji brought in eminent people like Dr.K.L.Rao and
made
him the Union Minister for Irrigation and Power. His contribution to the

nation has been far in excess to anyother from their constituencies.
Likewise, Prof V.K.R.V.RAO, was in Delhi and was made the minister for
health. The point I am making is that it is the quality of people and
leadership that is critical and not the restrictions of the
constituency.

Election expenses cannot be controlled and all thaat you propose is
already
being done. However, in actual practice, the Election Commission
overlooks
because the limits themselves are rediculously low. Moreover, monitoring
is
next to impossible let alone fixing the limits that cannot be bypassed.
The
major challenge is not of internal democracies so much as the leadership

that does not select the right kind of people. I would not be too
worried
about money power because the Indian Electrate are seasoned and have
become
smart. They take the money and vote the way they want. Thus even after
spending so much money, Mrs. Gandhi lost heavily after the emergency.

I believe the critical agenda should be more in setting some criterias
for
selection of representatives for the leadership. While there is a lot to

blame the leaders for, in fairness to them, the choices they get are so
poor
and their sources of information on the persons so less that they make
the
best choice of the worst options.

I read all the interesting debates as often as I can and am very keen to

contribute but unfortunately due to pressure of time I do not
participate
actively. So, if my suggestions or comments are out of place or
inappropriate, please excuse me.

K VIJAY RAO