Krishnan/Dasgupta; Girish/Vamsi

[Topics under debate]: GOOD GOVERNANCE
In neither of these discussions, in which tempers have naturally flared
on
familiar paths,
is any progress being made towards good policy-making, though some is
made
perhaps towards good citizenship.    The fault is not with the
participants
but with the idea that a "policy manifesto" can be carved out from
anybody
expressing any opinion at any time on any subject.    That cannot be
done in
Indian democracy, in American democracy, in Swiss democracy or in
ancient
Athenian democracy.

My substantive comment is that Mr. Krishnan sounds like a
babe-in-the-woods
when it comes down to tackling our problems with the ISI and the
Taliban.
Perhaps he might like to try out the Taliban websites for starters.   Mr

Dasgupta will doubtless enjoy the Indian Army's new Vijay in Kargil
website
which has incidentally got excellent photos.    Everyone might also
enjoy
the SAPRA and Bharatrakshak websites too

On the telecom debate, as with every other debate on GOI policy that IPI

members might purport to participate in, my suggestion is that
discussion
start only with some concrete published or broadcasted news story or
editorial opinion already being expressed in India, and build on that.
If
everyone tries to pontificate ab initio on every subject under the sun,
we
do get a lot of potential pontiffs.

Subroto Roy.