RE: Kashmir: Are We Right?

[Topics under debate]: GOOD GOVERNANCE
Dear Indranil

Instead of arguing about peripheral issues, why not we debate on the
main
issue that we were discussing earlier and which is relevant to the
future
development of India? Let me put down once more in detail the two points
raised earlier in refernce to the Kashmir context.

1. It is necessary that for the stability and prosperous development of
any
nation, the basis for its existence has to be the promotion of welfare
of
all its citizens and the adequate respect and consideration should be
given
to the opinion of all sections that make up such a society. In case such

difference of opinions are curbed by the use of force, like what is
being
done in Kashmir valley, the we need adequate justifications for the use
of
force.

The justification for the use of force cannot be that India is a
divinely
ordained as a sacred entity and hence any irrational method can be used
for
maintaing its existence. If that is the case then, Kashmiris can very
well
claim that Kashmir is as sacred to them as India is to the rest of
Indians
and hence they are justified in adopting any possible method to get
freedom
for their holy nation. Indeed if the Indian is correct so has to be the
Kashmiri. Such assertions lead only to conflicts without any solutions.

2. India is a culturally,racially,ethnically,linguistically diverse
nation
and nothing useful is going to come out by cloaking this diversity under
the
claim of "patriotic Indianness". Diversity if accepted and allowed to
assert
itself can indeed be a boon, for multiplicity of viewpoints is an
essential
component of progress.

If instead this diversity is forcefully controlled by resorting to the
claim
of Hindu domination it can have disastrous effects.
While Hinduism is truly a great relegion if properly understood and
practised according to the philosophical precepts of Shankara or
Vivekananda, the fact is that to most people in India, Hinduism is only
identified with its mythological elements. Indeed how many of the
defenders
of Hinduism do so for the cause of Shankara's Advaita or Chaithanya's
love.
They defend Hinduism with fervour for the cause of building temples, for
the
protections of the sacredness of their deities and for the right to
chant
Vedas and mantras in schools. Indeed if any book of Vivekananda is
opened
you cannot escape his stress on rationality. Yet where is this
rationality
in the Hindu fervour that you see now?

What we see now is an irrational outpouring of potentially disastrous
sentiments and such sentiments are to a large extent caused by the
claims of
the sacredness of India and its divinely ordained holiness. Hence it is
necessary that all such claims of holiness be refuted by any person
seeking
to address the question of development of India.

Secondly, if the diversity is not allowed to assert itself then it will
resort to violent methods like what is happening in Kashmir or  North
East.
Hence the concept of a strong India where all diversities are masked by
this
"Indianness" has to be abandoned and effort has to be directed towards
giving more freedom to the states in Inida.

May be you could point out to me objectively where I went wrong in my
above
stated  arguments.

                                        Unni