Re: wisdom? Whose?

[Topics under debate]: GOOD GOVERNANCE
Bhuwan, Vamsi, Sanjeev, & others:

I'm not disputing your points, nor was I saying the 'conventional
wisdom' was
right [or wrong]. The point I was trying to make was that what I cited
as
conventional wisdom is routinely used as justification for the policies
that
perpetuate the existing power structure. If we are to make a convincing
argument for dismantling those policies we have to address the arguments
used
to justify them- and debunk them- in the terms used to justify these
policies
in the first place so that we can clearly show that they are wrong: even
if
they were right at the time they were instituted then conditions that
justified them have changed so they need to be reassessed or the
[seductive]
arguments used to justify them were specious in the first place.

The justifications of current policies have been around for so long, and

repeated so often that they have become mantras that are no longer
questioned.
To present an alternative, they must firsst be debunked, and to debunk
them I
believe it is necessary to present the context in which they first arose
and
point out why they were wrong to begin with or why are no longer right.

I do not think that terse arguments like
"....this is not working, we need to scrap it, trust me, try this/my
way"
[Vamsi] or
"...READ AND FOLLOW THE SCRIPTURE OF THE PROPHET ADAM SMITH!" [Sanjeev]
are likely to win any significant following.

I believe it is an element of human nature that people become
comfortable with
the familiar devil they know and internalize arguments given to them to
justify their beliefs. To make people contemplate change, requires
convincing
arguments, not just why the new way is better, but also why the old way
no
longer works [or worked badly to begin with, or only works for those
that
support it]. Otherwise, we will be either preaching to the converted on
the
one hand, and the deaf on the other.

-Charu