From: vamsi@siliconcorp.com [mailto:vamsi@siliconcorp.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 07, 1999 10:11 PM
To: debate@indiapolicy.org
Subject: Re: demise of Aerospace Industry?

[Topics under debate]: GOOD GOVERNANCE
    Very good.  The ills of GoI are well known but almost never resisted
or
"opposed" at the polls.  Anyhow, regarding the capital needed and
whether
India would be able to muster such a cost.....  Well, there is a
low-cost
solution: demolishing AAI and other bureacratic agencies that will pave
the
way for simpler framework which would allow the usage of lighter (and
slower)
planes, in the beginning, which could be built by a 100 different
smaller
companies (exagerating on the numbers but you get the point).  Do you
not
see
that it is the laws that are in place that are killing this industry and
not
the enormous startup capital that you have mentioned?  Startup capital
can
be
scaled down to meet our needs (to a certain extent).  Those displaced
from
AAI
might find jobs in these aerospace companies, in turn?  Of course, now
they
would have to work for a living.

    However, you are absolutely right about those who refuse to give up
their
power even for the sake of the country!!  It is probably impossible to
do
away
with a rogue institution like AAI.  India, after all, is big on
institutional
power - shall I say it: Jai Hind?  GoI is our best friend and our best
hope!?
Hmm.....I think I am loosing it.

Sincerely,
Vamsi M.