for Prof. Rao, Arindam, Parth

[Topics under debate]: GOOD GOVERNANCE
Regarding Prof. Rao's comment on the IAS. I think the critical blind
spot in our debates is the role of electoral funding and maintenance of
mammoth political parties. Ram Narayanan was in LA recently and I
mentioned about the complete disinterest we have as citizens in our
procedures of democratic governance. In April when I met  Parth, he also
expressed ignorance of such fundamental issues. I had requested Arindam
at least 8 months ago to carry out a basic study on this topic but I
have not seen any report from him yet.

Over 50 major economists of India who were circulated the "Laws of
Corruption," did not bother to make a single comment.

Would Prof. Rao please examine this issue in detail and let us know
where we stand in terms of the feasibility, transparency, etc. of these
laws? I would also request Arindam, Parth, and Barun, among others to
please go to the various government agencies and inquire about the
details of how our electorial system runs.

[Typing courtesy Sukrit]