Re: Private Truths, Public Lies

Very true Sanjeev.

There is one other problem with this private truth and public lies,
which is so commonplace in our land, that is, everything that is in
public, is seen with not just skepticism, but rather a sense of judgment
that everything that appears to be good must have some bad motive hidden
behind it.

Those who have been airing their "truth" in private have not helped our
society in any way, rather, they have helped reaffirm people's mistrust
in public officials. Those few, who dare to speak out, often lose their
sense of perspective, stop identifying themselves with common, ordinary
people, start believing that they are special, go to extremes and defeat
the very purpose they originally set out to achieve.

What is needed is not the zingoistic, and disparate moves to run some
kind of revolution or brand every public official as a liar, but rather
development of the basic social character where it is not okay to lie in
public or private, also it is not okay to speak against someone behind
his/her back, at the same time, anyone who dares to speak the truth
doesn't do so simply to expose someone or prove a point, but rather
because it is the right thing for everyone to do.

One more thing, I take issue with the traditional "Indian" thinking
characterized in your following statement :

"There are more than 10 serving or retired/resigned IAS officers on this
list  They whisper in the shadows."

Big deal! I don't mean any disrespect to the IAS cadre, but it is high
time "The IAS" came out of their box and became ordinary citizens, or
rather, should I say, it is the other people who should stop identifying
"The IAS" as some kind of superior caste. Given that having cleared the
IAS examinations itself is a proof of great success, but that is
certainly not the ultimate test of superiority, and there are those who
never get a chance to even participate in the process, moreover, being
good, and successful doesn't have to mean they claim superiority over
others (remember,there is something called modesty, which has not yet
been characterized as a bad thing!).

Another, rather moral issue I have with this "IAS" cadre, and that is,
if the Indian Civil service requires only a certain number of people in
the Civil Service, then does that mean every other smart person beyond
this fixed number of selected people is not as smart?

Moreover, the issue of "...they whisper in shadows!"

There are two things wrong with it. First, the "Whispering in show" is
accepted in our society, and those who listen to the whispers continue
to believe in these whispers, and don't dare to question the very
motives of such whispers and rather start taking their sides to crucify
the one such "whispers" claim to blame for anything.

We have some kind of "Caste System" virus, which has contaminated our
DNA's and that makes us create classes of people such as "The IAS", "The
IntellectualS","The English Speaking" "The Yadavs"...even those who
claim not to believe in the caste system in the traditional sense,
believe that anyone passing a UPSC examination is guaranteed to have
intellectual superiority over every other human being, or people who
speak English, or wear good western style cloths or have modern means of
commute, communication etc., essentially, rich enough to have all these
things, are somehow superior.

I am sorry to appear to be taking rather extreme position, I didn't know
a better and softer way to say it. I have been there, lived poverty, a
rural life, in non-English upbringing, all of which was/is considered
sin in our society. There is very little incentive for the ordinary
people to do the right things, we ought to concentrate on the problem
rather then fixing the symptoms.

Thank You.

Umesh