Re: Orissa Incident - Hate Crime

>- Responding to Dr. Roys description of his moral philosophy. Frankly I
>dont know much about the school of thought he mentioned. The reasons he
>outlined are quite valid and indisputable. I just hope we apply same the
>>yardstick to all hate crimes.

What I said precisely was this:

"The abomination that happened in Orissa with the murder of Mr. Stein and
his two young sons makes it vital to introduce a Union Civil Rights Act in
India on the American pattern.  This was not a mere law and order problem;
the victims were killed because, repeat because, of their ethnicity and/or
religious beliefs or practises.  Ergo, their constitutionally guaranteed
Fundamental Rights were violated in the process of the criminal act of
murder.  In such a situation in the USA, the Federal Government would
prosecute for murder as well as under the Civil Rights Act; here in India
it is not, repeat not, enough for the Union Government to pass the
responsibility to the State Government alone.  If we want to learn
something from the Americans, we should start with the Civil Rights Act."

It seems clear enough to me.  Once such a law is established in India,
would it not be obvious that it would apply universally in the country?  I
do, incidentally, deeply sympathise with the victims of the terrible
tragedy in Kashmir, of all faiths and over fifty years, and think them to
be the victims of the greed of and power play by the Islamabad and New
Delhi elites, and have published accordingly (viz. see my Introduction to
Foundations of Pakistan's Political Economy, 1992, Sage and OUP) but that
surely has nothing much to do with what happened in Orissa a few nights
ago.

Subroto Roy.