Media Debate - Minor Comment

Friends

I happened to be reading the Washington Posts listing of Associated
Press news stories. One of these was a round-up of editorials from
newspapers world-wide. A Sydney based newspaper "The Sydney Morning
Herald" carried an editorial page item on the Orissa incidents.

The editorial while rightfully expressing outrage on the incidents went
to on suggest that the Central Govt. was inciting these incidents out of

belligerence in the wake of recent reverses in bye-elections. A
suggestion I had come across some days become even in a CNN newsitem on
the same incident. I dont know what sources the Sydney Newspaper was
reporting from or if they have a correspondent in India.

The point I wanted to make was that the foreign media has not been very
accurate in its coverage of events owing to a variety of reasons - some
of which may be genuine.

Hence its incumbent upon us as right thinking Indians to perhaps write a

letter or e-mail to the editors of these newspapers to point out any
inaccuracies or ambiguities such articles may carry.

regards
shashi