Re: Press Freedom - Issues

     Dear Shashi

     You seem to be convinced that the reports of attacks against
     Christians are "LIES" even though you have not investigated the matter
     yourself, and you would seem to have no basis for questioning the
     bonafides of the people who have reported these matters.

     Are you aware of, and have you examined, the report of the
     investigations, either by Christian bodies themselves, and by the
     National Commission for Minorities?

     If not, and if you do not know how to contact them, do let me know,
     and I can send you the contact details.

     Your wider point about the need to distinguish between facts and
     opinions in newspaper reports is of course quite valid and it is good
     to examine ways in which we can make this distinction clearer.  In the
     old days, the distinction was clearly between "news reports" (fact)
     and columns, editorials etc (opinion).  If you feel that "news
     reports" are not factual, this needs to be taken up first with the
     newspapers themselves, then with a Newspaper Ombudsman whose
     responsibility this sort of thing must be, and if all else fails with
     the Press Council....

     As for your question: "Why is every single incident of violence
     against christians receiving such exposure?", I would have thought the
     answer was simple: this is the first time that a lawfully-constituted
     government in India has been in bed with groups inciting communal
     hatred, with the results that we all see today.  Previous attacks
     against Muslims and Sikhs were at the very most covertly supported by
     governments, if at all (I am not referring to the Golden Temple
     matter, but to the massacre of Sikhs following the murder of Mrs
     Gandhi, for example)....

     Professor Prabhu Guptara
     Director, Executive and Organisational Development
     Wolfsberg Executive Development Centre
     (a subsidiary of UBS AG)
     CH-8272 Ermatingen
     Switzerland