This came my way

An interesting conversation between an Indian and Pakistani came my way.
I am sending it in after removing identities. IPI is not a "people's
voice," but sometimes policy relevance comes about thro' these
inoccuous discussions. I don't endorse any side here. Just some food for
thought.

(The Indian is writing this mail)

I totally agree with your views. However i have made some further
emphasis in few places below (in capital letters).

At 12:18 PM 22.01.99 +0530, you wrote:

>Thanks your Emil and I am much relieved now.
>
>You know my views about religions.  For me any one taking the sham of
>religion is a hypocrite or even an outright phony.  When I think of the
>amount of blood spilled over it and the suffering of billions and
>billions of people in the past thousands of years I some time hate the
>very idea.

YOU ARE 100% CORRECT...ORGANIZED RELIGION HAS ALWAYS BEEN USED AS A MEANS
TO GAIN POWER AND WEALTH......IT IS ESTIMATED THAT AS MUCH AS 60% OF BLACK
MONEY IN INDIA GOES TO THE SO CALLED GURUS AND OTHER RELIGIOUS
ORGANIZATIONS (SOME OF THEM POLITICAL.

>Humans have tried to explain the nature and its phenomenon, which had
>tremendous effect on day to day life.  The think tanks of the past came
>up with explanations which very characteriscly was always limited to the
>knowledge of that particular time.  Trouble started when they defended
>their theory by force and forcefully imposed it on others.

I HAVE TO SAY THAT MOST OF THE ANCIENT INDIAN PHILOSOPHICAL THOUGHT HAS
STOOD THE TEST OF MODERN SCIENCE AND THOUGHT. I DO HOWEVER TOTALLY AGREE
WITH THE LAST SENTENCE ABOVE.

>I also consider religion as a tranquilliser for a common person atleast
>he has a dream to follow.  Not many can face the reality that you are a
>cosmic dust and will go back as a cosmic dust.(HOW TRUE!!....ALTHOUGH I
PREFER THE TERM COSMIC AWARENESS)  Compare this to the
>promise of good  times with beautiful ladies in heaven  and you will
>realise that religions are doing some thing for humans.
>
>Shariat laws are the tools  for ultimate dictatorship.  If the dictator
>is a good person the state will be model crime free,  unemployment free
>and having  all the benefits social security.  However  that  good
>person can only be found in small group of people and not in the case of
>today's countries.

I DO NOT THINK SUCH A GOOD PERSON EVER EXISTED OR CAN EXIST IN HUMAN FORM.
MANY START OUT AS VERY JUST AND NOBLE RULERS BUT EVENTUALLY POWER CORRUPTS,
AND ABSOLUTE POWER CORRUPTS ABSOLUTELY.....THERE HAS NEVER BEEN A SINGLE
EXCEPTION TO THIS RULE IN KNOWN HISTORY. ABSOLUTELY GOOD RULERS SUCH AS
HARISHCHANDRA, RAMA, ETC. EXISTED ONLY IN THE MYTHOLOGY....THERE IS NOT AN
IOTA OF EVIDENCE THAT SUCH PURE RULERS EVER LIVED ON THIS EARTH!!(i am
sorry but i am familiar ONLY WITH THE INDIAN MYTHOLOGY) The only WAY TO
ENSURE GOOD GOVERNMENT IS THRU' A TOTALLY TRANSPARENT AND OPEN
ADMINISTRATION IN A MATURE DEMOCRACY....OUR ELECTRORATE IS FAR FROM MATURE
YET; THEY NEED TO BE EDUCATED AND MADE AWARE AND A MUCH BETTER SYSTEM
INTRODUCED (PERHAPS ON THE US MODEL WITH SOME MODIFICATIONS). MOST OF ALL,
THE GOVERNMENT SHOULD HAVE NO BUSINESS TO RUN OR CONTROL ANY BUSINESS.

 You will be surprised to know that minorities have
>more rights under shariat laws then in a secular system of these days.

I AM SURPRISED NOT AT ALL. RELIGIOUS LAWS IN ALL FAITHS ARE ABOVE BOARD AND
WERE GOOD FOR THE TIMES THEY WERE MADE....THEIR APPLICATION BY THE PRIESTS
AND RULERS HOWEVER HAS ALWAYS...WITHOUT EXCEPTION...BEEN MOTIVATED WITH THE
DESIRE TO GAIN ABSOLUTE POWER/WEALTH AND HAS BEEN MODIFIED AS PER PERSONAL
WHIMS. SURPRISING PART IS THAT EVEN TODAY, EVEN MANY SO CALLED
INTELLECTUALS ARE TAKEN UP BY THESE OBVIOUS FRAUDS!!!

>So what are shariat law today  .  A weapon for a dictator to continue
>his whim which he can not under democracy.
>
>In our two regions of northern areas where they have imposed shariat law
>now there was before crude jirga system and no judicial system.  Most of
>the tribal areas are not under Pakistan judicial system and are known as
>azad territories.  So atleast now they have a better law system then
>what they had before.  However  the modern judicial system must  be
>introduced there gradually.
>
>Woman  are the main suffers under the shariat  law as it is a male only
>system and women had their rights only inside houses or behind vails.
>
>What can you and I do?  Same what we are doing now discuss and convey
>the message of love, understanding, and accommodation

IT IS WITH THIS INTENTION THAT I AM COPYING THIS EMAIL TO OTHERS. OTHER
VIEWS ARE WELCOME.

MAY ALL THE PEOPLE OF THE SUBCONTINENT TRULY LEARN TO LIVE AS BROTHERS AND
SISTERS....MAY WE ALL PROGRESS TOGETHER. OUR POLITICIANS HAVE MASTERED THE
ART OF DIVIDING AND RULING OVER US...LET THE YOUNGER GENERATION RISE ABOVE
THIS AND KICK OUT THESE TOTALLY CORRUPT AND INCOMPETENT RULERS!!