Re: 1 out of 150: Reply

Hi Arindam,

Even though you addressed your message to Sanjeev, I assume it was an
opinion expressed for all of us to react upon. We wish Sanjeev well, and

hope that he joins back soon.

I am taking a chance to respond to your message. I will not try to
dispute the facts that you have mentioned in your posting, because, in
fact they are true.

However, I take issue with the gloomy perspective of everything that is
political India. Aftreall, we are care about India, and envision seeing
better days ahead. If at all that is possible, in a democracy, it is
going to be up to us to make it possible, and the foremost requirement
for that to happen is to keep hope alive.

I know you will argue where to find facts to support the positive
perspective and keep hope alive. Let me tell you my own personal
experience. I only have heared about what used to happen prior to
emergency, and since early 80s I have paid close attention to Indian
politics, and I have found all along positive signs, and reasons to stay

positive and keep hope alive. I don't know how many people can relate to

live parliamentary debates on issues in the days of Rajiv Gandhi (the so

called Mr. Clean)'s days. The sheer fact that after the assasination of
Mrs. Gandhi, Rajiv had gotten the kind of Majority in the Loke Sabha
that his Mother and grand father had never received during several
decades of their rule. At least in the first few years, his government
was so formidable that they could literally get away with any
legislation they wanted.

Those were the days when you needed knowledgeable and articulate (though

not so popular) politicians of opposition ranks like Professor Madhu
Dandwate stopped Rajiv at every step and taught him a few lessons of how

to do the right things. We can get into specific's if you want, but the
fact remains that democracy and the mere presence of effective voices of

opposition allowed necessary checks and balances even to the regime of
most popular, though not that experienced a prime minister.

You rightly suggest that there are times when Manmohan Singh's or Atal
Bajpai's of today have to look the other way. Two things. Firstly, at
times, Atal or Manmohan could be wrong, and our system provides a way
for us to scruitinize them and others all the time. On the other hand,
you cannot discount the fact that Atal is afterall the one who is the
power center, and Manmohan Singh is someone whose advise doesn't get
ignored so easily.

There are situations where they may have to look the other way, but the
sheer fact that our system allows them to gain positions of power lets
them have their way too. If you remember the recent BJP convention at
Bangalore where Bajpai declared that even though he will listen to the
advise of the BJP party and Kushbhau Thakre & Company, but ultimately
his will is what is going to prevail in the government. Insurance bill
is something that Bajpai forced to go through the parliament dispite BJP

Objections.

We all know that there are imperfections, but these are inspiring facts
we all should drive our fortitude from, or else, it will be very hard to

stay engaged in a losing fight!

You have also to pay attention to the dedication to the likes of Atal
Bajpai who cared little about Power, and spend over fouty years of his
life without complaining, won as well as lost elections but kept on
doing what he thought was the right thing to do. That ought to teach us
something.

Umesh