1 out of 150: Reply

Hi Sanjeev,

I was away on assignment to the mela area for coverage. Sorry for the
delay.

First and foremost, get well soon. We are already missing your
perceptive
moderation.

About my entering politics: Good tomatoes and bad tomatoes are
segregated by
the vegetable seller. In the same market, bad tomatoes (or bad cars)
have
lower price. But not so in politics, unfortunately. Criminalisation of
politics began (or was perceived) from emergency imposed by Indira
Gandhi.
These bad elements are entrenched in our system. Willy-nilly, even the
so-called good (Mr/Ms Clean) in today's politics, Manmohan Singh or Atal

Bihari Vajpayee have to look the other way. They seem to lack the
dynamism
needed to counter the 'bad' elements. There are no role-models in
today's
politics. Or no peer pressure on the bad from the politicians
themselves.

We need to correct the perception of politics and politicians before a
good
man can convert his goodness to votes. People do not just exercise their

choice, most often they are made to exercise their choice. A good man
would
not know how to counter false propoganda, mud slinging, et al. He would
be
shocked into his shell. I have seen this happen.

A good guy will not hire hoodlums to capture booths, change ballot
boxes,
etc. He cannot motivate bureaucrats to rig election in his favour. He
will
not use transfer and promotions as political weapon. Who will help him?
Even
the media barons are bought and sold by politicians. Their dynamism is
mind
boggling. Unfortunately, the brand loyalty of the 'bad' is stronger.
This is
the case in Hindi heartland.

Cost of election is a major factor as well. Though my wife tells me that

cost is not a major factor. She is a teacher in a girls' school. She
says
taht she would prefer social work to politics. I as a journalist would
like
to collect news, not become news myself!

Yes it is possible for me to do a research on the politicians/election
system. This has to be done discreetly. Information will trickle in.
These
have to be gathered like a bee collects honey. I will do my best. More
later.

Rgds,
Arindam Roy,
arindam@nde.vsnl.net.in