Reservation policy

Dear Sanjeev,
The reservation issue has been widely discussed in our country in the =
past and invariably all of us end up taking partisan positions. I think
=
before further discussions we should clarify some points in our minds, =

namely,
1.That our social organization has produced certain sections which are =

disadvantaged just because of their birth in a certain caste or =
community. This has happened over a large period of time and these =
prejudices have severely hampered the intrinsic potential of members of
=
these communities.
2.The reservation policy has not really achieved its professed goals. =
This can be judged from the fact that even after 50 yrs of Independence
=
when we have had this reservation policy in place, in one form or =
another, there is no community which can be said to have benefited =
enough to be removed from the list of those requiring reservations.
3.Rather, what has happened is that the Reservation policy has created a
=
new class of privileged class amongst the reserved categories, who have
=
sucked up  most of the benefits of the reservation policy, at the =
expense of the rest of their community members.
4. Also, reservations in higher education and technical institutions =
have led to alarming situations where students with very poor marks are
=
preferred only because they enjoy the benefit of reservations. To give =

an example, reserved candidates for Post Graduate courses in Medicine =
(MD and MS) in various state and central PG tests, gain admission with =

only 20% marks, where as those from the general categories with as much
=
as 60% are denied admission. This obviously helps no one except a few, =

undeserving candidates who will become Surgeons and Physicians only =
because they belong to a certain caste. Their final degree will show =
them only as MD or MS. Missing,from the eyes of their future patients =
(who would come from all castes and communities), would be the fact that
=
they secured only 20% of the marks, and missing too would be the fact =
that they belong to the 'elite' reserved class. In due course of time, =

and again, thanks to the reservation policy, they would become teachers
=
and professors in Medical Colleges, and with the benefits of reservation
=
policy, become Heads of their Department. This situation prevails even =

in premier institutions of our country like the All India Institute of =

Medical Science where young Doctors are heading their departments just =

because of the 'green channel' afforded to them by this policy!  In =
fact, things have come to such a pass that general category Doctors in =

India are finding it easier to complete FRCS in England than gain =
admission to a superspeciality course in India!!
5. Finally, one might ask where do the reservations stop? 50%, or, under
=
political compulsions, 100% as there is a proposal to amend the =
constitution and hike the reservation percentage above the limit set by
=
the Supreme Court. Also, the days of reservations, under political =
compulsions in the judiciary, armed forces and sports (so many =
percentage of cricketers must be from such and such castes!) may be with
=
us in the days or years to come. If one accepts the logic of =
reservations for Doctors, then why stop at just that?
6.Then, what is the answer? I think, it has to be that the government =
and the political parties have to take an apolitical view of the issue,
=
and agree to a policy which is best for the country, in the light of =
what has been achieved by the reservation policy so far. Some real steps
=
like free and compulsory education, access to better health care, better
=
social standards for society as a whole with the aim of achieving a  =
more caring, accountable, corruption-free and prosperous society may =
provide better answers to the plight of the underprivileged.

Anil Shukla.