Re: comment on the common man

You gave an interesting example. Let us try to take it back to "the
common man". I mean by this "common man" reference is our everyday
reference to the people you meet as you see a person walking down the
street, or you get in touch with people wherever you go in India (like
in school, in work place etc.). My personal experience, which I believe
is quite extensive, of interacting with people in rural and urban India
is that, we as a society are good debaters at philosophical level, in
intellectual gatherings or situations of that sort, but we seldom
practice what we preach, and we seldom react as honestly and sincerely,
not in an effort to criticize someone, but to change, change things
constructively as things happen in the life of "a common man". Like in
your own example, I don't know whether you took time to express your
despair with those who were practicing this untouchability, I am sure
you did, but many won't. Most of the people reading this e-mail may be
enlightened lot, but believe me, I have seen this lack of community
spirit and lack of sufficient confidence/trust that we speak out and
others will listen with respect, is something surprisingly common in
every corner of India, and indians abroad.

hremi wrote:

> Postings not related to the writing of the Manifesto or policy
chapters
> are likely to be summarily rejected. Thanks for your understanding.
IPI

>  Dear Sanjeev:
>
> Your comment on "common man of India"-- I believe there is no common
man  is
> very relevant. Common man is a another myth which is politically
> exploited.Yesterday I visited a rural villabe about 90 kilometers on
the
> NH45 from Chennai: Velliambakkam . I stopped at one part of the
village and
> enquired where is the house of Mr Rajenran, vice-president of village
> council  -panchaya. The man, a farming labourer like stared at me an
asked
> which Rajendran? Does he belong to caste village or colony (Dalit part
of a
> village is called "Cheri" or "colony" in Tamil Nadu). Then I realised
the
> man who invited me must be a Dalit living in the Dalit colony. So I
answered
> the vice-president of the village, I donot iknow where he lives. He
answered
> with a contempt, yes the vice-president , he lives in the colony and
it is
> away from here go on the eastern side and enquire! The reality is is
every
> Indian village, as it is seen in Tamil Nadu is separated into a caste
> village  and dalit village which is usually half a kilometer away from
caste
> village, which is segregated housing in India. A martin Luther King
fought
> to end discrimination and segregation in the US. How is that in India
after
> Gandhi, enlightened Budhism and Hinduism, we still have segregated
living. I
> went to the segregated part of this village and met Mr Rajendran who
invited
> me and he was sharing his woes of oppression by caste village. This
made me
> depressed on a Pongal holiday which was a day of celebration. This
farmers
> festival as they decorate their cows and bullock carts, where the
houses
> look alike among agrcultural wokers how come such a strong
discrimination of
> untouchability exists. Ambedkar described this tha Hinduism has an
ascending
> reverence and descending order of contempt as the caste system brought

> gradations of people. -- So who is the Common Man - the man in the
DALIT