No Good People Joining Politics...?

This is where some sense of responsibility at least on the part of some
needs to sink in. First of all, even though we do see examples of ugly
drama played by corrupt and criminal politicians in India everyday, it
would be wrong to make generalization. There are people in active
politics who are there just for the public good, and unfortunate reality

for them is that whatever they do, they remain a part of a thankless
bunch.

True, like every other peace loving citizen of India, my parents also
taught me to stay away from criminal politics while in school, but
luckily I was never stopped from reading/listening to or watching
actions of various politicians as I was growing up. I was not taught to
hate politicians, and so I ended up developing pretty good interest in
the system and its activists.

All I mean to say that I have seen too many people follow the words of
pundits rather then following the facts. Things are not great, but
certainly they are not as bad as they could be, thanks to some "good"
people in politics in India. We ought to pay some attention to the good
people in Indian politics, they deserve some appreciation for what they
do, and there is no reason why good people like you and I should not
think of going to politics in India. If everything great then we perhaps

won't be discussing it here, only such tough times require natural
leadership of good people to face the challenge.

Umesh

Sanjeev Sabhlok wrote:

> Postings not related to the writing of the Manifesto or policy
chapters
> are likely to be summarily rejected. Thanks for your understanding.
IPI

> On Sat, 16 Jan 1999, Arindam Roy wrote:
>
> > Regarding our joining politics, I don't think my children or me
would like
> > to join it. Firstly, it is no longer a place for good men. They have
been
> > thrown out of circulation by the bad and the ugly. First, the system
has to
> > be cleansed. No one builds a home on garbage heap. The garbage needs
to be
> > removed.
>
> Thanks, Arindam! That is the spirit. Speak the truth first. Once all
> speak the truth, we will at least know what is the possible cause of
the
> problem.
>
> On a theoretical plane, though, the argument you gave is weak. You
say,
> " Firstly, it is no longer a place for good men. They have been thrown

> out of circulation by the bad and the ugly."
>
> This assumes that both types cannot co-exist together. Indeed, it is
> possible for both good cars and bad cars to exist on the roads
together,
> as it is possible for bacteria and the white blood cells to co-exist
> together. Similarly, if the issue is only of good vs. bad, then the
good
> should have no problem in joining politics. After all, isn't it the
job
> of the "good" in tne Hindi cinema to battle with the "bad."
>
> Second, you assume that the bad can somehow push out the good.
Actually,