The real problems

On Sat, 16 Jan 1999, Arvind Kumar wrote:

> We should first realize that the way reservations are handled in India
> won't take us anywhere. We just have commissions to fix percentages.
> They don't address the real problems.

> Education is the key here.

> The second point is that free market is required so that more jobs
> are created.

Finally, Arvind states:

> Removing reservations will only give fodder to those who want to
> make a political capital out of the issue. That these can be removed
> for those above a certain level in the index suggested is one
> solution.

Dear Arvind, I fully endorse all 3 of your points. I am not in favor of
removing reservations recklessly or on "political" grounds in order for
one group to win votes here or there. The index we have suggested on IPI
should be studied further and become a standard.

There are 3 levels of reservation, though:
	-	educational
	-	government jobs
	-	political (i.e., constituencies)

All political reservations have been strictly followed. In the other 2
categories more data is needed.

Umesh Tiwari wrote to me reg. his problem with political reservations
(i.e., constituencies being reserved). This needs to be examined
somewhat more. What is the current system? Do the constituencies
randomly rotate each time or not in each election? If they are not
'rotating' randomly, then we might have a theoretical problem of skewed
representation going on. Would Umesh please enlighten us on this issue?

Thanks,

Sanjeev