Re: Next draft of the reservation policy statement

Dear Sanjeev:

As religoius leaders perpetuate discrimination in different form for their
survival, you will have a tough time to change them to your views. we must
begin somewhere, so your view seem very reasonable and deserves support. I
support you fully in your views here.

Regarding your specific querry on the following topic:

I know this is going to sound rather hasty, but I propose the Disadvantage
index be comprised of:

a) 33% weight: Educational backwardness
	This would be measured by:
	33% weight on total literacy of SCs
	33% weight on female literacy of SCs
	33% weight on secondary and higher education status of SCs
b) 33% weight: Economic backwardness
	Relative difference of per captita income of SCs to that of
	the others.
c) 33% weight: Social discrimination
	33% weight on intercaste killings
	33% on other crimes.
	33% on the actions taken by Hindu religious leaders to abolish
	    the caste system.
If anyone has attempted an index of this nature, I would be grateful if
Henry can enlighten us.

------- I HAVE NOT COME ACROSS THIS INDEX BEFORE. You will have problems
in making people to accept this!----------

Second: What does he feel is the appropriate level of reservation in
government jobs/ educational institutions: 100% of relative population
or 50% of population (as I am proposing now).
In the current proposal, reservations (which seem to arouse passions in
almost all segments of the population) should be phased out in a certain
ratio linked to the Disadvantage Index. Ideally each state should have
its own Disadvantage Index since some states have very little
discrimination and others have much more, but initially, maybe we should
focus on a national index.

>Well, here is my attempt to reconcile the suggestions received so far:>
>Non-Discrimination:>------------------->
>Equality of opportunity is best understood in terms of people not being
>discriminated against on the basis of social characteristics. While
>discrimination amongst people on the basis of their ability and effort
>is acceptable and should receive its due reward since it serves the
>general purposes of growth and progress in a society, discrimination on
>the basis of religion, caste, tribe or sex, etc., is unacceptable. Some
>of the discriminations that India needs to work upon, to remove, are as
>follows:>
>a) Reservation system: Given the unfortunate persistance of social
>discrimination against certain citizens based on social status
>determined by birth within the Hindu religion, it might perhaps be a
>good idea for the concerned religious leaders to work toward complete
>abolition of the caste system, facilitating the early elimination of
>this compensatory discrimination. Second, and not related to the former,
>a publicly available Disadvantage Index should be made available which
>takes into account educational and income disparities, as well as some
>measure of social discrimination. Reservations should then be phased out
>as per a particular formula which takes disparities into account. In any
>case, full reservation on the basis of population size of a particular
>community lowers the incentives for improvement and creates a deep
>divide in the society, and must be brought down to half immediately.
>
>b) Uniform Civil Code: Similarly, it would perhaps be a good idea for
>Islamic religious leaders to work toward a situation where no
>discrimination occurs in the rights of members of that religion as far
>as maintenance on divorce and inheritance is concerned.

Henry Thiagaraj
Managing Trustee, Dalit Liberation Education Trust
46 Main Butt Road, St. Thomas Mount, Chennai 600016, India
Phone +91- 44-2341146 / 2331199         Home phone 4421676
Fax +91-44-4913365
email:  hremi@giasmd01.vsnl.net.in
                         Website:  http://www.pcsadvt. com/dlet/
                                and    http://www.pcsadvt.com/dlet/thedelta.htm