Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 17:40:59 +0100
From: Srinath Srinivasa <srinaths@usa.net>
Subject: Request for populating the IfI database...

Hi All,

I am sending this mail to you because of your interest in issues related
to India. There is no doubt that there are a number of issues and
challenges faced by Indians in their daily life. But on the other hand,
the innovative capabilities of Indians are also unquestioned.

So what is missing? We seem to have a lot of ideas within ourselves,
which never come to the forefront and which never make a difference. It
is to facilitate this, some of us have come up with an idea-- to have a
database of ideas relating to issues of Indian life. The ideas posted in
this database have to be rational-- and moderate. The database is
"free", in the sense that ideas posted in the database are free for
anyone to implement-- and possibly make money out of them. But they are
not allowed to have a patent on the idea or in any way own the idea
themselves. The rationale is to encourage the implementation of ideas by
many people thus increasing competition in implementing the ideas.

The database is divided into categories and subcategories. Each
subcategory can have many ideas and problems-- open challenges that have
to be addressed. Problems may elicit more ideas in the future. Each idea
can also be voted and commented upon by others.

Presently I am maintaining the database on geocities and am on the
lookout for a better place to host the database. The database is still
under construction and the mail filters that I have written to receive
new ideas and problems, is still incomplete.

My request to you is this-- when you can get some time, I would be very
glad if you could visit the site
http://www.geocities.com/ResearchTriangle/Lab/2635/
and provide me your opinions. Please also suggest more categories and
subcategories with appropriate introductions for them. The pages are
still under construction and you might find a few dangling links. Sorry
about them, in advance. The pages include forms by which I can receive
your suggestions-- but they don't seem to be working. I must check it..
So, please send in your suggestions directly to me at srinaths@usa.net

Lastly, I am doing this sporadically "whenever I have time". And this
effort is purely voluntary and not affiliated to any of my mainstream
work. So, any other kind of assistance or advices or comments, etc are
more than welcome!

Best Regards
Srinath Srinivasa