which corrupted what?

Hi Srinath,

I agree with you. That money is fodder (or fodder money), has been =
proved beyond doubt by Laloo Yadav of Bihar. Indeed the 'bad' system has =
corroded the 'good'.

In the Hindi heartland, where I was born and where I grew up (ouch! =
that's debateable), a son is seen as an investment policy. His =
educational qualification, social status and job-value, real or =
possible, is directly proportionate to his 'Dowry value'. Even highly =
educated families give and receive dowry. It is ingrained in the system. =
Bad money is thus needed, accepted and propogated as a just means. The =
argument being, "Sabhi to kar rahe hain" (everyone is doing it).

The question remains (and is perhaps a matter of serious research, =
debate, etc.), where did the corruption in our electoral system come =
from? Was it this social acceptence of 'bad' money for a daughter's =
marriage (or other petty considerations) that saw  political and =
criminal power centres consolidate themselves? Or was it the other way =
round?

In Bengal, Maharashtra, Gujrat and the southern states, dowry is not a =
deep social problem, but corrupt electoral practices are very much =
prevalent there as well. Is it possible that New Delhi, which was ruled =
by the Hindi heartland for nearly five decades, has taught a few lessons =
in the 'bad' system. I don't know if my doubts are valid, particularly =
in the light of IPI's focal point. But may we raise these points for an =
open debate?

 =20