Re: Reply to "Silence?": On the NRI/POI Institute

Regarding the issue of the NRI bias in the IPI mails, I am not really
surprised at Dr Roy's concern. But I think the reason is somewhat
straightforward too.

I remember when I was first introduced to the internet, I was wondering
with awe how consistent the views expressed in this media were. They all

seemed to be advocating (some sort of) Americanised views-- even when
addressing the Indian context.

But the reason occurred to me much later-- it was simply because the
"netter" populace consisted of many more US NRIs than resident Indians.
It is only now when internet usage is growing in India am I finding much

more localized opinions and debates which address problems directly.

I remember some time back, in 1995, someone had asked a question on the
internet regarding basic education in Indian villages and there were
some responses which took a "globalistic" and "liberalised" approach to
addressing education! But more recently, a similar issue on an other
India related mailing list talked about issues regarding the importance
of local languages and culture, the need for innovative methods of
teaching, etc.

Well, I guess it is no more than a matter of numbers, and IPI is no
exception, which determines what topics are discussed.

Best,
Srinath