Re: English Education

---Ash Mahesh <ash_mahesh@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I was reading Kennedy and Alderman's "In our
defense", a look at the
> Bill of Rights and their interpretation and
enforcement in US courts
> since independence. Often, in interpreting the
constitution, courts were

> unsure of the purpose behind the wording in the
amendment, and usually
> that led to much of the dissent and debate.
>
> In much the same way, I think that when a policy is
set forth, it is
> helpful to state the underlying reasons for
professing it, if possible.
> For example, what you now see as beating around the
bush, if reworded as

> you suggest, could become the obstacle for later
changes. By
> specifically saying that competitive interest is
the primary reason for
> advocating the use of English, we leave ourselves
open to debating the
> rationale just as much as the policy.

Point taken.

> > Anyone who opposes English MUST NOT educate their
kids
> > in English.
>
> Wishful thinking, at best. Liberty is not about
making approved choices.

It was just a way of saying "Don't oppose English for
the rest of the society if you sent your kids to
English medium schools".

-Arvind