Re: Article in Hindu on MPs

Arvind,

You may find my reaction a bit strange!!

However, I submit that politicians must get all the below
and more. We must attract people who do want to live
within these specified given means. Their emoluments
in cash and kind should include the below and more,
that, we can possibly specify for them!!

In return we must have hard working people who will
work for the country and make everything more
transparent and better, because they start with the
important requirement of working for themselves,
in the very first place!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will give the example of Pittsburgh here in the US.

Due to some lack of transparency in the system, politicians
have managed to line their pockets and they have managed
to let Pittsburgh decay.

Due to this, people who do not want to lead a decayed life
leave Pittsburgh and go to places where the quality of life
exists a lot better.

I submit that most parts of India seem a lot like
Pittsburgh, and it makes a whole lot of sense to run
away to anywhere, where, in their fiinite 'lifetimes',
they can live a 'quality' life.

I do not see any reason why, we should not let the
genius of India blossom. I do not see why we should
not give our politicians more than what we presently
specify. I do not see why we should not specify to
give them more.

I believe that reducing the compensations given
to politicians in cash and kind will only end up in
creating more corrupt ones.

The only thing in return we must require of them,
remains absolute transparency in their existence
for the benefit of the nation.

This will throw up more honest politicians and will
permit the country to prosper.

I do not know Dr. Manmohan Singh personally, but
from accounts of what I have learnt in terms of
what I have read and heard, I believe he fits the
bill as an honest politician. The 'intelligenstia'
must actively push to get such persons to the
fore to take lead.

G-

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Some points made were:

The monthly salary of an MP has been enhanced to Rs.4000 from
Rs.1500, his daily allowance (a sitting fee for each day the
MP attends parliament or any meeting of the house Committee)
increased to Rs.400 from Rs.200 (on an average there is a
sitting of either of the Houses or a committee on at least 20
days in a monthwhich means Rs.8000 a month), office expenses
(stationery) to Rs.2500 (Rs. 1500), secretarial allowance to
Rs.6000 (Rs. 4000), constituency allowance to Rs.8000 (Rs. 6000),
pairs of air tickets to 32 (28), free electricity to 25000 units
(15000), car allowance to Rs.1 lakh (Rs.50000), monthly pension
to Rs.2500 (Rs.1400), family pension to Rs.1000 (Rs.500),
accomodation in a mansion or an apartment with host of other
privileges. The new pay package to the MPs brought in with
retrospective effect from April 1, 1998 is estimated to entail
a recurring expenditure of over Rs. 15.05 crores a year and a
non-recurring expenditure of Rs. 3.65 crores.

... on restoring the "out of turn" allotment of gas connections
and telephone connections, the author says -

...Adding insult to injury, the quota for gas connections was raised
from 100 to 160 and the phone connections from 25 to 50.

... Not the kind to be left behind, the MLAs also have been giving
themselves hefty hikes in their emoluments. An MLA in Punjab gets the
highest basic monthly salary of Rs. 7500 followed by Haryana Rs. 7000,
Karnataka Rs. 6700, UP Rs. 5850, and Assam Rs. 5700 besides a host
of other allowances. Under the "vehicle loan scheme" all the 87 MLAs
in Punjab had a Rs.4 crore bonanza of Tata Sumo cars. In AP, the MLAs
are given a grant of Rs.54,500 and a loan of Rs.17,250 to purchase
computers.

The author also suggests that pension be given only to those who
quit politics for good.