Re: English Education

> True. I remember this. The fact remains that at this
> point in time, if competetive interest is to be taken
> into account, English would win over other languages.
> Why not openly come out in support of English instead
> of beating round the bush?

I was reading Kennedy and Alderman's "In our defense", a look at the
Bill of Rights and their interpretation and enforcement in US courts
since independence. Often, in interpreting the constitution, courts were

unsure of the purpose behind the wording in the amendment, and usually
that led to much of the dissent and debate.

In much the same way, I think that when a policy is set forth, it is
helpful to state the underlying reasons for professing it, if possible.
For example, what you now see as beating around the bush, if reworded as

you suggest, could become the obstacle for later changes. By
specifically saying that competitive interest is the primary reason for
advocating the use of English, we leave ourselves open to debating the
rationale just as much as the policy.

> Anyone who opposes English MUST NOT educate their kids
> in English.

Wishful thinking, at best. Liberty is not about making approved choices.

Much as I agree with the premise, I think the position is clearly
untenable.

Ash