Re: Big Brother + Culture Police

My objection to the tapping of email thing is more on the grounds of
principle than anything else. It is trivially easy to find ways around
this. But how dare they contemplate doing this to me in the first place
?
Using such methods to gather evidence is an example of treating dandruff
by
decapitation.

Arvind Kumar wrote: [ on 03:06 PM 1/9/99 +0530 ]

>How can you hold the ISP responsible for what somebody downloads?
>Do you hold the postal service responsible if somebody misuses it
>(assuming that using one's freedom is the same as misusing the
>facility)

What if I use a VSNL (say) account to obtain access to my account with
any
of various prviders in the US ? (as I do, every day) If I access
"forbidden" information through this account, am I deemed to have broken

the law ? Have they even thought about how information on the net does
not
flow hierarchically ? John Gilmore dramatised this in his so-called
Gilmore's Law which says that

"the net perceives censorship as damage and routes around it."

>I think we should do away with policing the Net. How about a clause
>protecting the privacy of citizens in our agenda?

Good idea. Anyone care to make a start ?

Udhay