Re: Electoral funding cost-benefit analysis

Well, the major problem with this cost-benefit calculation is that all
non-pecuniary benefits are left out of the calculation. Ashok Desai had a
article in Business Standard some months back where he tabulated the total
(pecuniary+non-pecuniary) benefits and it's a very large number indeed.

May be a seach thru the index of the journal Public Choice can give some idea
of the research done on the topic.

In any case, you're right that we need to do this exercise to under the
constraints within which politicians operate in India.
parth-

Sanjeev Sabhlok wrote:

> In order to be more specific about the point that is being made on IPI,
> let us do a cost-benefit for running for election. First, the facts:
>
> The Election Commission has specified all details on their new web site
> at
>         http://www.eci.gov.in/tabs/top_elec_sys.htm
>
> as follows:

******************
Dr. Parth J. Shah                        From Jan-April 1999
President                                Department of Social Sciences
Centre for Civil Society                 University of Michigan
B-12 Kailash Colony                      Dearborn, MI 48128
New Delhi 110048                         Voice:  (313) 593-5157 (O)
India                                            (810) 731-3898 (H)
Voice:  (91-11) 646-8282                 Email: pjshah@umich.edu
Fax:    (91-11) 646-2453
Email:  pjshah@del2.vsnl.net.in
Webpage: www.siliconindia.com/civil/