Re: Dalit Upliftment

Time binders,

I have some background in a discipline, study,
etc., called general semantics as originated
by a Polish scientist called Alfred Korzybski.

>From this discipline I have learnt that the map
is not the territory. Words are not the things
that it represents. Words can only represent.
And if they represent accurately, it will serve
to guide us, if not, it can possibly mislead us
whether we transact in English or any other
language.

So, to me, it seems that English for dalits,
non-dalits, etc., does not make sense if
English gets used to mislead and misgude
what it purports to map, represent, etc.,. !

Tamil, Hindi, or any any language on earth
makes sense, if the language which maps,
represents, etc.,  maps the territory, accurately.

Tagore could map better in Bengali than in
English. In fact he believed that he could
not convey what he wanted to, any better
than in Bengali.

So, to that extent, we, as Indians need to
ensure the blooming and flowering of all
our Indian languages to create this
'paradise' called India!

George Kurien

 ARVIND HAS A REAL POINT IN EMPHASISING ENGLISH
FOR DALITS. MY OWN PERSONAL LIBERATION AS A
DALIT WAS POSSIBLE BY LEARNING ENGLISH AND
GOING TO USA. IT IS AMAZING THAT DURING MY VISIT
TO RURAL DALIT AREAS DALIT PEOPLE DEMAND ENGLISH
MEDIUM FOR THEIR CHIDREN's  EDUCATION WHEREAS
GOVT. IS THRUSTING REGIONAL MEDIUM WHICH
PERPETUATES THEIR BACKWARDNESS AND POVERTY.
WE SHOULD DEBATE THIS IN GREATER DETAIL

Henry Thiagaraj

At 09:13 PM 1/4/99 -0800, you wrote:

>Postings not related to the writing of the Manifesto or policy chapters
>are likely to be summarily rejected. Thanks for your understanding. IPI
>Here is one suggestion that will go a really long
>way in improving the quality of life of Dalits
>if implemented.---I FULLY ENDORSE THIS  --Henry
>
>The Dalits should demand that they be given education
>in English right from 1st standard. As it can be seen
>in India, the average English educated student is
>way ahead of the average student educated in other
>languages.--- The Dalits are already demanding this in TAMIL NADU.Henry
>
>Of course, this applies to all sections of society
>but Dalits can actually ask for it. If others ask
>for English education, they will be labelled as
>slaves of the West by other English educated
>"intellectuals" who send their children to convent
>schools.
>
>-Arvind

Henry Thiagaraj
Managing Trustee, Dalit Liberation Education Trust
46 Main Butt Road, St. Thomas Mount, Chennai 600016, India
Phone +91- 44-2341146 / 2331199         Home phone 4421676
Fax +91-44-4913365
email:  hremi@giasmd01.vsnl.net.in
                         Website:  http://www.pcsadvt. com/dlet/
                                and    http://www.pcsadvt.com/dlet/thedelta.htm