Re: Dalit Upliftment

 ARVIND HAS A REAL POINT IN EMPHASISING ENGLISH FOR DALITS. MY OWN PERSONAL
LIBERATION AS A DALIT WAS POSSIBLE BY LEARNING ENGLISH AND GOING TO USA. IT
IS AMAZING THAT DURING MY VISIT TO RURAL DALIT AREAS DALIT PEOPLE DEMAND
ENGLISH MEDIUM FOR THEIR CHIDREN's  EDUCATION WHEREAS GOVT. IS THRUSTING
REGIONAL MEDIUM WHICH PERPETUATES THEIR BACKWARDNESS AND POVERTY. WE SHOULD
DEBATE THIS IN GREATER DETAIL

Henry Thiagaraj

At 09:13 PM 1/4/99 -0800, you wrote:

>Postings not related to the writing of the Manifesto or policy chapters
>are likely to be summarily rejected. Thanks for your understanding. IPI
>Here is one suggestion that will go a really long
>way in improving the quality of life of Dalits
>if implemented.---I FULLY ENDORSE THIS  --Henry
>
>The Dalits should demand that they be given education
>in English right from 1st standard. As it can be seen
>in India, the average English educated student is
>way ahead of the average student educated in other
>languages.--- The Dalits are already demanding this in TAMIL NADU.Henry
>
>Of course, this applies to all sections of society
>but Dalits can actually ask for it. If others ask
>for English education, they will be labelled as
>slaves of the West by other English educated
>"intellectuals" who send their children to convent
>schools.
>
>-Arvind

Henry Thiagaraj
Managing Trustee, Dalit Liberation Education Trust
46 Main Butt Road, St. Thomas Mount, Chennai 600016, India
Phone +91- 44-2341146 / 2331199         Home phone 4421676
Fax +91-44-4913365
email:  hremi@giasmd01.vsnl.net.in
                         Website:  http://www.pcsadvt. com/dlet/
                                and    http://www.pcsadvt.com/dlet/thedelta.htm