Re: PUBLIC: new cities

     I am sorry I missed that posting, Arvind.

     We are proposing lots of "impractical" things on IPI: the question is
     not whether we perceive these ideas as "practical" but whether we
     believe them to be the best means of revitalising the country.

     No city is "natural": Calcutta, Madras, Bombay, Bangalore, Chandigarh,
     and New Delhi (for example) were none of them "natural", they were the
     result of a deliberate effort to start a new city.  We may think that
     some of these (or none of these) were not particularly good examples
     of cities but, if so, we should learn from them in order to build
     better cities this time round.

     I think your idea, Arvind, is worth reviving, particularly if we start
     getting some new states where some new thinking about these sorts of
     things might be welcome.

     Yes, many cities will be needed, but then much effort is needed to
     give flesh to most if not all of our IPI policies....

     Professor Prabhu Guptara
     Director, Executive and Organisational Development
     Wolfsberg Executive Development Centre
     (a subsidiary of UBS AG)
     CH-8272 Ermatingen
     Switzerland