Re: Checks and balances

> when the Emergency was declared, apparently no one (or virtually no one)
protested. (in fact, till today, many people have told me that that period
was the most 'glorious' period of India's independence since trains ran on
time). <

This is not true.  There were many, many people who protested and who were
therefore either incarcerated or had to leave the country.  I was one of
them.

Professor Prabhu Guptara Director, Executive and Organisational
Development Wolfsberg Executive Development Centre (a subsidiary of UBS
AG)  CH-8272 Ermatingen Switzerland Tel: +41.71.663.5605 Fax:
+41.71.663.5594 e-mail: prabhu.guptara@ubs.com INTERNET:
http://www.wolfsberg.com

Subject: Checks and balances
Author:  sabhlok (sabhlok@almaak.usc.edu) at nyuxuu
Date:    01.01.99 00:54

On Thu, 31 Dec 1998 vamsi@siliconcorp.com wrote:

> > On Tue, 29 Dec 1998 vamsi@siliconcorp.com wrote:
> >
> > >     The flaw in our Mental Model is that we are unable to realize that the
> > > Reservation policy is an affect and the cause is the abuse of power by the
> > > Government and other institutions!!  We should be working to remove the so
urce
> > > of the problem - powerful institutions.
> Dear Sanjeev:
>
>     Yes, I should have been more specific.  Let me give it another try - a mor
> scientific approach to the argument:
>
> Postulate 2 - The Manifesto should also limit the power of
> institutions explicitly.

Now we are entering into very deep territory. We were talking of
reservations; now we are talking of institutions. Institutions are both
public and private. The are the rules of the game which we play. They
are defined by our unique history as well as our conscious efforts to
change things. Let me assure you that the word 'institutions' means
different things to different people. What we have done so far is to
completely operationalize such generalizations: the details are what
counts, and no one disputes the general statement that you made.

> Conclusion - The manifesto should state explicity, rather than
> merely "imply", that the Government should/would encourage
> competition among ALL institutions - a check and a balance on
> corporate pwer.

Specific points are already in the economic policy section. Pl. check out
if any more is needed. Also: government itself is an institution. There
are checks and balances for it as well in our document (as well as in the
Indian constitution).

> Furthermore, since the Government has the authority
> to levy taxes and such its power should be checked by explicitly
> stating in the manifesto that it will not engage in ANY commercial
> production of goods and services.

This has been stated explicitly as follows (see Preamble)

A simple methodology to analyze the kind of role that the citizens and
government need to play is given below:

    Is it possible for citizens to solve the problem themselves, if
        properly guided by government? Yes/ No.

    *    If No, then is there any logic or evidence which says that the
         government will do a much better job? Yes/ No.
             If Yes, then give the job to government.
             If No, give it back to the citizens.

    *    If Yes, then leave it with the citizens straight-away.

Ultimately, this is an empirical question. In practice (as opposed to
theory), do imperfect markets work better than imperfect governments. In
practice, do competition, incentives to effort and innovation, and
survival of the fittest in the marketplace - however flawed the market
may be - work better than bureaucrats supposedly pursuing the public
interest?

Reg. commercial production: the section on privatization is already
quite specific; more specificity can be given to it if you like.

>     As an example, the Government of India is the MOST OPPRESSIVE
> institution for Indians on the planet.....oops, here I go again.  I
> set out to make a scientific argument but I am getting a bit
> emotional.

Many cases do exist of such "oppression." I would simply call it the
natural consequence of the apathy of citizens (just as our corrupt
governments are a consequence of the apathy of citizens in not
organizing themselves: having a free press is not enough. We must have a
citizenry that believes firmly in the principles of human dignity and
public accountability). For example, when the Emergency was declared,
apparently no one (or virtually no one) protested. (in fact, till today,
many people have told me that that period was the most 'glorious' period
of India's independence since trains ran on time).

People in all nations have always behaved like sheep at critical
moments, especially when their rights have been taken away by the threat
of physical force. People are really scared of physical force. That is
true today in Assam for example where virtually nobody speaks out
against terrorism in the open (they speak out only in their dining
rooms, but what is the use of that?). Citizens have to rise against all
forms of misuse of power (including terrorist power). On IPI we are
trying to ensure that policies which guarantee freedom of the citizen,
both economic and political, are fostered and agreed to by all of us,
the citizens of India, and that we define the precise mechanism by which
these freedoms will be achieved and preserved.

Having said all this, let us revert to being very specific.

In particular you had commented something on the reservation policy. Can
you please focus on that and make a specific paragraph summarizing your
view on the reservation policy?

Thanks,

Sanjeev