Re: What the Vedas say about Varnas

Hi Sanjeev & Rev. Valson,

I don't know whether this response of mine belongs to IPI or not. May be

it does. Not from a policy point of view, but from the perspective of
underscoring the need of asking religious leaders, temples, Hindu
Ashrams,influential people in places of pilgrimage (esp. the important
ones such as Kashi, Gaya, Tirupati,Badrinath,Triveni etc.) every
religious institution that has a real following among masses, to
publish, preach and make every religious Hindu/Brahmin/Non-Brahmin
understand that there is no upper or lower caste. They should also make
it clear that the scriptures that suggest birth based caste and
discrimination, are not necessarily inspired by God, and therefore, it
is okay to ignore/change such scriptures.

I have been a part of many discussions, almost all of which seem to
agree on the equality of people, yet nothing seems to make a difference.

People of all ages still believe in caste system. Why others, my own
parents believe in caste system, some of my siblings believe in caste
system, and many of my friends believe in caste system. I grew up a
brahmin boy in the heartland of India, where caste system is practiced
as if that's the way god created people. No, the VHP has no following
there, and so their setting up such a policy is likely to have little
impact on the people. Those people just inherit the religious and social

practice, and anyone trying to suggest new changes is considered less
religious and characterized as someone who is influenced by the west,
which is very unattractive to them. This is true not only to the
brahmins, but also to the non-brahmins who religiously bow down to
everyone, even a little child belonging to a brahmin caste, believing
that respecting this "Descendent of Brahma", they can advance their
status after this life.

Unfortunately, Hindu religion is less and less practiced on the basis of

any specific scripture or knowledge, but more on the basis of rituals
inherited through generations and simple beliefs which are hardly ever
questioned. A priest of a temple is expected to belong to a Brahmin
Caste, his ability to narrate some Sanskrit Hymns and guide the
followers to follow the rituals is considered all that is required of a
religious leader. No stress is given to the knowledge of religion, its
impact on moral and ethical aspects of society. In fact, the priests are

not that powerful in influencing normal life styles of the people. I
don't know whether it is good or bad, but it is certainly making the
task of eliminating caste system belief lot more difficult.

Umesh