salaries

On Sat, 6 Feb 1999, Umesh Tiwari wrote:

> Section C: Raising the salaries
>
> This point is not very clear, and I fail to understand why this language
>
> belongs to a policy statement. It could be changed to something like :
>
> "Ensure that the Compensation of the Government Staff, is, to a minimum,
>
>  sufficient for decent living, and is, comparable to what a similarly
>  qualified individual would earn in a similarly demanding job in the
> private sector. This is required to retain the best talent for executing
>
> the very important functions of the government"

new para

c) Salaries of bureaucrats at all levels would be made comparable with
private sector salaries for similar jobs. This is required to retain the
best talent for executing the very important functions of government.

> Section D.Cutting down the needless tasks performed by government, and
>            bringing down the size of government to half.
>
> "Half of what? It is a very relative term.

this has been excluded already

I think it is already stated
> elsewhere that the size of ministry in a government should be strictly
> limited to a certain percentage of strength of the elected body. I think
> this extra reference is redundant. Instead, another line should be added
> to the earlier reference of limiting the size of the government to
> specify the limitation of a reasonable ceiling beyond which the
> governments should not be allowed to spend without a 2/3rd majority
> approval of the elected representatives"

not necessary, I believe.

> On another important issue of
> 1.Strengthening democratic institutions
> Section B: Remove government control over the media
>
> While there is widespread agreement on the basic philosophy, and even
> various governments have tried to implement some versions of this
> philosophy, Prasar Bharti is very distorted, yet basically an attempt to
>
> satisfy such a demand. The current Government's stand of advocating
> control over media "Because it is funded by the Government" is very
> telling.
11~>
> Some language needs to be written to guide the funding arrangements of
> the media in order to protect it from the shekels of the governments. I
> think a government funded media should have no business showing Amitabh
> Bacchan's movies. Such a portion/Channel Bandwidth can be fully
> privatized for commercial purposes, and private corporations would be
> happy to fund it. Something like a C-SPAN organization can be created,
> which would be funded by mandatory contributions from the private
> commercial media corporations and Cable Operators just like it is done
> in the United States. Having public/private funded Public
> Television/Radio stations with minimal grants from the governments can
> also work well. Some detailed language about media funding policy is
> necessary before initiating any meaningful talk about media freedom.

pl. suggest exact language