prof guptara's comments + ash

Non-Discrimination:
-------------------

Equality of opportunity is best understood in terms of people not being
discriminated against on the basis of social characteristics. While
discrimination amongst people on the basis of their ability and effort
is acceptable and should receive its due reward since it serves the
general purposes of growth and progress in a society, discrimination on
the basis of religion, caste, tribe or sex, etc., is unacceptable. Some
of the discriminations that India needs to work upon, to remove, are as
follows:

a) Reservation system: Given the unfortunate persistance of social
discrimination against certain citizens based on social status
determined by birth within the Hindu religion, it might perhaps be a
good idea for the concerned religious leaders to work toward complete
abolition of the caste system, facilitating the early elimination of
this compensatory discrimination. Second, and not related to the former,
a publicly available Disadvantage Index should be made available which
takes into account educational and income disparities, as well as some
measure of social discrimination. Reservations should then be phased out
as per a particular formula which takes disparities into account. In any
case, full reservation on the basis of population size of a particular
community lowers the incentives for improvement and creates a deep
divide in the society, and must be brought down to half immediately.
DELETE LAST FIVE WORDS AND REPLACE WITH "EXAMINED IMMEDIATELY, PUT ON A
RATIONAL BASIS, AND HALTED AS SOON AS PRACTICAL WITH RESERVATIONS
ENTIRELY IN LINE WITH THE DISADVANTAGE INDEX"

DONE; must be examined immediately, put on a rational basis, and halted
as soon as practical with reservations entirely in line with the
Disadvantage Index.

b) Uniform Civil Code: Similarly, it (DELETE "IT" AND REPLACE WITH "WE)
would perhaps be a good idea for (DELETE PREVIOUS SIX WORDS AND REPLACE
WITH "URGE AND ENCOURAGE") Islamic religious (DELETE PREVIOUS TWO WORDS
AND REPLACE WITH "MUSLIM") leaders to work toward a situation where no
discrimination occurs in the rights of members of that religion as far
as maintenance on divorce and inheritance is concerned.

NEW ONE:

) Uniform Civil Code: Similarly, we would urge and encourage Muslim
leaders to work toward a situation where no  discrimination occurs in
the rights of members of that religion as far  as maintenance on divorce
and inheritance is concerned.

ASH:

Should we work into the reservation system a way of eliminating some
people from being eligible? I.e., if the government subsidizes the cost
of
my education as well as those of my children at the university level, is
it not reasonable to assume that the advantages accrued therefrom are
sufficiently high that my grandchildren don't need the same subsidiy?
Should reservation be allotted to families rather than to individuals,
and
will this make them more accountable to the subsidies they receive. A
one-scholarhsip-per-family-per-generation idea is what I am imagining,
although quite loosely at this point.

PL ELABORATE

also, ash said: I suggest that we delete the reference to Muslims in
particular and come

up with something more generally applicable.

PL SUGGEST