New verion coming up

COMING UP: manifesto's new version. Changes: (excuse capitals)

Arvind's points:

** We should keep the language in ordinary prose. Phrases like "one day
break away like a leaf falling from a tree" should be removed.

DONE

** Nobel Prizes and Olympics:

Again, I feel these are too trivial for such a document to
highlight.

DONE. Other words substituted.

** Fundamental Beliefs section:

We should talk of all human beings deserving equal rights. Saying
that all human beings are made equal in an essential way doesn't
carry any information. It is also true that all human beings are
not created equal and that is why the phrase "in an essential way"
is added. The idea of the statement itself is to convey that all
humans deserve equal rights. Why not say so directly?

THIS IS MORE COMPLEX THAN THIS. NEW STATEMENT READS:

 All human beings are created equal in an essential way. Equality of
opportunity has to be the founding principle of an equitable society.

** We should do away with dwelling on the "past glory". Remove the
reference to 250 years ago. Let us be different and look ahead
instead of back. It has no place in our document, least of all in
the equality section.

THIS REPRESENTS ECONOMIC EQUALITY AT A PT. OF TIME NOT TOO FAR AGO. THIS
MUST REMAIN

** In the liberty section, "all religions are to be fully respected"
smacks of thought control. All regions should be tolerated is okay.
When you force someone to respect religion, you do not accomodate
those with scientific temper.

DON'T AGREE. Suggest alternative words.

** In 'Belief in Self' section, technological superiority isn't enough.
It should be technological and economic superiority.

OK.

**

Nation, Government, Citizens and Markets:

"pure capitalism" doesn't exist is the statement that is present.
What do we want to say there. Something seems incomplete.

LINE DELETED

** National Reconciliation:

Promoting voluntarism is a concept that won't work. you gets what
you pays! What do we mean by this? Ask college students to take up
voluntary work? forget it. If we don't do that, we might as well
not have that statement. Recently, Uma Barati was asked her most
important achievement. she said that she has appealed to people to
take up voluntary service! Surely, we should not be making such
statements.

DON'T AGREE. IPI is purely voluntary. We have done a lot of work for NO
MONEY at all. That is social capital.

** Electoral Reform:

You have missed out the point which says candidates MUST furnish
details of all criminal cases they are involved in and which will
be published. This point was brought up on IP long back. Please
don't leave it out.

OK. ADDED: Candidates must furnish details of all criminal cases they
are involved at the time of filing applications for candidature with
Returning Officers.

** Defence:

Global disarmament! We should definitely not make such statements.
These are present only in dreams. Remember that our manifesto
should meet the following two criteria.

It should be desirable
It should be practical

While global disarmament meets the first points, it fails to satisfy
the second.

IT IS NOT TOTALLY IMPRACTICAL (not disarmament; denuclearization). If
the caste system can someday go, nuclear weapons can also go. If one day
India can become the world's richest power, then nuclear weapons can
also go.

** Law and Order:

What is Vohra Committe recommendations and what is the National
Police commission's recommendation? Can we have a link to these
documents on IP?

WILL TRY LATER

** Elimination of attempts to plan the economy:

The planning commission should be shut down but it should not be
"converted" into any other body. If there should any other body, it
should be totally new. It shouldn't be an avatar of planning
commission.

YOU CAN'T EXPECT EXISTING PEOPLE IN PL. COMM. TO ALLOW TOTAL SHUT DOWN.

** Independence of Central Bank:

The only focus of the Bank should be one: to keep inflation in
complete check.
There is only one point listed!

OK

** Financial Capital and Foreign Exchange Markets:

In the section which says 'Measures to bring back the small investor'
how about giving the small investor the right to sell back his stock
within 6 months if it is a primary share. This will mean that companies
cannot sell shares and then do a Houdini after an year without starting
a company.

SMALL INVESTOR CAN SELL BACK ON SAME DAY HE BUYS, EVEN TODAY.

** IT policy:

"included here briefly" should be removed.

0K

** Agriculture policy:

Crop insurance should be mentioned. Do you know how important it is for
farmers not to have uncertainity? The present crop insurance scheme
is not an insurance at all. It is nothing but a loan waiver. This is
how it works.
If you have taken a loan and your district is declared drought hit,
you will be paid compensation whether or not your crop failed! This is
how it is. If you have not taken any loan, no compensation for you.
We need REAL insurance schemes. Schemes where farmers PAY for insurance
and probably will get good management techniques from these insurance
companies. The payment could be a percentage of output or a flat rate
but we need such a scheme urgently. Insurance companies should be
encouraged (lower taxes?) to insure crops.

OK. ADDED: Private insurance companies will be encouraged to insure
crops.

** Environment:

There is no shred of evidence of global warming...

Why make such statements? Let us stick to what we want to do. Let us
not start off debates on global warming and ozone layers. In our
environment section, we should say what we will do to protect the
environment. There is no reason that what we say should affect progress.
By mischievous, do we mean a "conspiracy by the west"? Let us focus
on what we are supposed to discuss.

DO NOT AGREE FULLY. MODIFIED STATEMENT

There is no shred of evidence of global warming, and the excuse being
used by some "environmentalists" to curb production and consumption in
the developing world is misguided.

** Several points which were discussed haven't yet been included. Will
they be included in the next draft? Is it because no summaries were
available? If so, I can try to fish the points out from the archives.

THANKS