Re: What the Vedas say about Varnas

Mr. Sabhlok has made a number of points with which I fully agree.
First,
all religions must modernize, which, in my opinion, means becoming
consistent with the findings of the natural sciences.    For example,
any
belief in astrology (all of which is based on Ptolemy) is inconsistent
with
belief in post-Copernican physics.   Modernization cannot be forced of
course, but must be encouraged to emerge naturally.

Secondly,  in the case of Hindus in particular, I believe the sacred
thread
ceremony of certain so-called higher castes should be made completely
universal, and be something open to any and all chidlren whose parents
desired it.    Boys have to shave their heads etc but there could be
suitable modifications for girls.   It can be a universal Hindu
initiation
rite upon reaching pubescence.    Such a policy would within one or two
generations would, I believe, effectively reduce invidious
caste-distinctions quite substantially.

Subroto Roy.