Reply to Ahmed and Shah

I am delighted two of my fellow classical liberals have opposed my
views,
and am honoured to reply.

>Loyal opposition sounds more like loyal subjects of the British Raj
period

Not so, though the British invented it.   The best example today is the
United States where, regardless of how much criticism a President may
receive from the Opposition within the country, the same Opposition
almost
never takes foreign policy or defence controversies outside US
shores.    It
was a rarity even during the Vietnam War for an American anti-War
politician
to attack his country's policy from outside the United States.    That
is
sound constitutional government, which is what I would like to see in
India
too.

>There is a common reading outside India that the next great country to
>disintegrate would be India.

If there is such a reading, I think it will be proven erroneous.   I
believe
it to be urgent that India and Pakistan resolve problems permanently on
the
basis of the formula: Common Defence, Common Market and Common Kashmir;
and
I believe there ought to be a major devolution of political and economic

powers to the States in a genuine federalism.

Best

Subroto Roy.