Re: Mr. Valson Thampu's Article

Friends:

This is a brilliant essay reflecting an intellectual response to the present
day problems. The analysis is excellent. There are two views to a problem:
one from the top like a birs flying looking at the earth and society, the
other the ground reality, like a fish swimming in the pond struggling in the
sun and cold. The quotations of French revolutions remind me of the analysis
Dr Ambedkar made in his Volume III published by Maharashtra Govt. He
reflected the ground realities of the suffering masses.

If we cannot change the mindset of people over 2000 years despite a Gautama
Buddha and Mahathma Gandhi, what will really change. When I read thge
matrimonial clumns of India Abroad, or News India published in the USA, they
also speak of caste identities despite migration to USA and absorbing some
Western education on equality, and non-discrimination of race and colour.
Why Caste alone stands out and cannot be removed from the discrimination of
of the Indian mindset? This is really puzzling for a rational human being!

The oneness of India and the one nation , one people theory seem so outdated
that my idealism of my youth shattered. What we see is the pluralistic
India, different cultures, different ethnic groups, different languages,
castes, different food habits, etc. but brought under a political system,
constitution, citizenship, passport, economy, etc. The positice immage I get
is that we are in the Indian Garden - perhaps the mogul gardens -- where we
see many variety of roses and flowers,well cared over the years, so
beautiful to see - an enjoyment to our eyes. So are our people with many
cultures yet beautifully bloomed in Indian soil. Now we seem to be
threatened this beautiful garden is getting destroyed. My heart anguishes at
the destruction of this beautiful garden of many flowers and plants.

Henry Thiagaraj