Powerful Medium/Media

Hello Arindam and Henry,

You folks seem to be of the opinion that a powerful media is a must for
strengthening our democracy. While agreeing with the essence, I would like
to spell out a few things for the sake of clarity.

Media, literally is the plural of Medium, and I hope you all really do not
advocate "A powerful media organization", but rather, smaller, more local,
and yet powerful in the sense of having a reach across a good section of
society, kind of media organiationS (s, meaning multiple, independent is
the key word here).

Here is a layman (i.e. me, a non-journalist)'s factual analysis :

Jinhua of China and Pravda of Russia are supposed to be pretty powerful
media organizations in their respective areas of circulation.These
organizations have also been instrumental in bringing revolution in those
countries. That has not necessarily helped improve the cause of freedom
and democracy in those places, neither has it done much to reduce
corruption out there.

You may think that the New York Times or the Washington Post are very
powerful, which may have some truth in it, but that is not the complete
truth. Here, in Chicago you have Chicago Tribune, and Chicago Sun Times,
in Atlanta you have Atlanta Journal, in Boston, the Boston Globe, The
Oklahoma Star, in Los Angeles,it is Los Angeles Times or some such local
news paper which is very influential and powerful, not because it knows
how to play power politics, but it has gained credibility among its
readers about its factual reporting, somewhat unbiased analysis,or at
least the free platform they all provide for all sides of the political
view points to be expressed, and also because these local media
organizations provide a way for the local communities to engage themselves
in a dialogue on local, and national issues.

This is real democracy in action, and quite different from the "Powerful
Media" concept in play in India for quite some time now.

Ramnath Goenka's express group was considered a powerful media for a while
as he played power-game with/against Indira Gandhi when she was at the
height of her power. That kind of showmanship may provide some temporary
balm to some hurt ego's, nonetheless, that puts too much power in the
hands of a few non-elected power brokers in the nation.

You can expect power game with such players, but fairness becomes an
anathema when the facts go against them. Local media in small cities and
towns, across the nation, which are owned and operated independently, and
provide voverage in local languages are the ones which can turn the
democracy around if enough attention is paid to strengthen their well
being.

Thank You.

Umesh