Education & Democracy!

Hello Shashi,

You raise very good point, and we certainly ought to talk about the
basic education policies. However,this education about political
awareness is somewhat different from the basic literacy.

While it is alright to have very good education policies in place (which
is again set by the people we elect, and "chicken and egg" story gets
repeated here as to what comes first!), and to whatever extent we can, we
all should work to get that in place, but while that happens, the
elections will go on,governments will be formed, alongwith us, 400 million
of our fellow citizens will keep using this power of theirs to decide who
rules us.

If we are to change the system, we have to think of ways to see that
people vote, and pay attention to the importance of their vote and also
constantly demand accountability from their elected representatives.

It is certainly a good idea to have our kids get some lessons in Schools,
but that lesson will have to be imparted by adult teachers who should be
enlightened enough to do so,and teaching kids alone pushes the solution to
the future when these kids will inherit the responsibility of voting. What
happens until then?

A war requires soldiers, this is another kind of war, and is going to
require dedicated soldiers and their life long commitments. Unluckily,
there is no recruitment drive for such soldiers, no tangible rewards and
no set physical qualifications. It is only those of us who care about our
democracy, have to give our lifelong commitment to work like soldiers
within each of our capacities.

Lot of us get excited to doing something and when we don't get
appreciation, or good response or results, we tend to give up hope. That
defeated mentality is not going to work, and we cannot pin our hope on
some immediate success. This I say, because we, as a society, have long
forgotten appreciating good things in others (so our own folks, for a very
long time, may not appreciate what we do), people may not listen to, or
pay attention to our counsel of involving them and asking them to care
about our system.

The only thing that ought to drive us to keep doing it all our lives is
our resolve, our confidence that we will succeed, and an understanding
that it is the right thing to do, irrespective of success or failure. I
know it is a tall order, and some people cannot stay engaged unless they
see some results, and for those, I would define success in more simpler
and modest terms. If we are able to influence even 10% of all the people
of all ages that we will come in contact with,in our lifetime, get them to
start caring about the system, and understand that they are,to some
extent, responsible for how great a nation we can become. I guess that
could be considered a success, and that is not too difficult to achieve!

Thank You.

Umesh