Re: "Theorem" of Corruption & Media

Hi Henry,

I agree with most of what you say. There are many black sheeps in our
tribe
(journalists) as well. But there are several who still do not touch
gifts,
etc. Tell me why should someone be appeased for doing his/her job? You
are
in fact helping the said person by providing him information. It was his
job
to gather news/information.  Neither is the problem so simple, nor is
the
solution readymade.

I am sorry that you did not get coverage for not entertaining some
reporter
or the other. With no prejudice towards anyone, I suggest that you
please
make a representation to the editor of the said paper, in good humour.
He/she will certainly look into the matter and assign the beat/job to
someone. It is also likely that the said reporter/correspondent is
finding
it difficult to understand your work, or is overworked, etc., and  is
thus
not doing what he is supposed to do. Well, I am just guessing. May be
you
are 100 % right.

In any case, your case is strong enough for representation. There is no
harm
in trying. I think I understand this a little better being a journalist
myself.

You are absolutely right that a powerful and honest media is a must for
effective democracy.

Regards,

Arindam Roy