An Open Letter to Shri Chowgule

Shri Ashok Chowgule, Vishwa Hindu Parishad, Mumbai

Dear Shri Chowgule,

You have been quoted in the press as having said that the Australian
missionary Mr. Graham Staines had "brandished" a pistol, whereas his
widow
has been quoted as having said he could not have done as he had none.
debate at IPI has touched upon the killing of Mr. Staines and I wonder
if
you may be so kind as to inform us of the answers to these questions
which
arise:

1.  Have you been quoted correctly?
2.  If so, what is the basis in evidence of the information that Mr.
Staines
had brandished a firearm?
3.  Even if he had done so, would that not have been justified in
self-defence and in defence of his children?
4.  In general, does the VHP's interpretation of our common Hindu
beliefs or
doctrines suggest there to be no right of self-defence?

Many thanks,

Sincerely

Subroto Roy