Re: indians

Administrative Note:
-------------------

Week's Agenda: Political & administrative reforms

Dear Manju

     Please don't hesitate to ruffle my feathers.  We are not in a
     personality-based discussion group.  We have our ideas and opinions,
     and we express them to enter the debate with a view to arriving at the
     truth, not with the intention of hurting anyone or making anyone feel
     good (though of course people may get hurt or feel good, that is not
     the intention).

     Now the point you raise: it would be valid if I was urging that people
     who have other nationalities seek the "protection" of the Indian
     government.

     As far as I am aware, the reality of the situation is that there are
     no longer any people of Indian origin and with "other" passports who
     need the protection of the Indian government.

     What I was urging us to consider is whether India stood to gain
     anything from efforts to "promote the interests of people of Indian
     origin abroad in a more organised and systematic way".

     My view is that the interests of Indians (whether or not they have an
     Indian passport) are similar - e.g. Indian music, art, history,
     literature, and so on.  Very specifically, I should mention business
     interests, since a lot of NRIs have businesses which benefit India
     directly or indirectly, and much more could be done to promote such
     links.

     Most of the foreign investment in China was actually from "overseas
     Chinese" (80% was the last figure I read) not from foreign
     multinationals and individuals.

     India has been unable largely (with a couple of striking successes
     here and there) to mobilise the goodwill and money of NRIs.

     NRIs don't need India.  I stopped having an Indian passport when my
     secretary finally got fed up of keeping track of whether my various
     visas were valid and what she needed to juggle to get my passport to
     the various embassies in England to get my next set of visas in time
     before I flew off again somewhere (I had for several years a pattern
     of work which involved me being in the UK for a week, and somewhere
     else in the world the next week).

     When Indian passports stop being a liability to people like me, we
     will happily go back to having an Indian passport, or of course if
     India allows dual passports as Pakistan (a less developed country)
     does and as Switzerland (a more developed country) does.

     Having or not having a passport would tell you something about a
     person's allegiance if other things were equal.  Unfortunately, other
     things are not equal and people can afford to make sacrifices to
     demonstrate theri loyalty to India for only so long.

     The sad reality is that it is not NRIs who "need" India, it is India
     that needs her NRIs and has done much less than other countries in
     similar situations for them, and has asked much less from them than
     other countries in similar situations.

     India has put much into her people who are now NRIs, why should she
     not get something back now?  But in order to do so, India needs to
     organise herself differently from the narrow minded, piecemeal and
     inefficient way in which she has organised herself so far for the
     purpose.

     Professor Prabhu Guptara
     Director, Organisational and Executive Development
     Wolfsberg Executive Development Centre
     (a subsidiary of UBS AG)
     CH-8272 Ermatingen
     Switzerland