silence

Administrative Note:
-------------------

Week's Agenda: Political & administrative reforms

I was looking at the India Policy web site and wondering if other
summaries (besides the one on education policy) have been written by any
of the rapporteurs, I couldn't tell for sure.

In the meantime, we appear to have hit a lull. Perhaps no one is sure
what the exact topic is for this week, or where we left off our heated
discussions of past weeks. In the interest of resumption, may I propose
that we try to write another summary (I'll do the summing up, and we can
all do the editing). I did offer to write these summaries from time to
time, and I may have time over the next week or two to write one up. And
since this is my voluntary contribution, may I choose my prefered topic
- foreign policy, which has been topical recently anyway.

Here is a bunch of points I gathered from the debates so far, plus some
other things that occured to me, these are the ones I will write up for
now:

- national interests should be woven into foreign policy in an
identifiable manner.
- we should try to find common interests with nations that have similar
democratic norms of government
- interests that facilitate growth through trade should be encouraged
- encourage denuclearization of all nations within a specific timetable
- obtain permanent membership in the United Nations Security Council,
and work to abolish veto privileges of permanent members.
- contribute to UN peacekeeping efforts on a regular basis, this
generates a fair amount of goodwill, as happened in Somalia, because
Indian troops conducted themselves far better than most others.
- work to strengthen international covenants that support democratic
norms and human rights, and enforce those standards within our borders.
This would include extraditing criminals from other nations who are
sought by their police, shutting down operations of foreign terrorists
on Indian soil, signing extradition treaties with more nations,
providing troops for the International Court of Justice's enforcement
operations, etc.
- cooperate with neighbors in sharing resources linked to waterways.
- protect the interests of Indian citizens abroad more firmly.

That will do for a start. Let's see if we can pick things back up.

Ash