Re: Article 356 and Governors

Administrative Note:
-------------------

Week's Agenda: Political & administrative reforms

> At 09:04 AM 10/23/98 -0700, Arvind wrote:
>
> >Does the Governor have any constitutional authority? If so,
> >isn't it undemocratic to appoint a governor without elections?
> >If not, I think we should just have an IAS officer who does the
> >job of an "observor for the president". We can do away with
> >Governors.

My take is that this [like so much else vestigial stuff on the books] is
historical- governor is a throwback from imperial times- kind of like a regional
viceroy. IMO, in a democracy, there is no place for imperial appointment of
governors.

w.r.t Pratap's suggestion that the governor serves as an alternative to
incompetent, corrupt, or ineffective elected governments,  I'd say we need to
consider alternatives carefully and give weight to those that give more power to
the people of a state rather than a central [imperial] government. An
instinctive response may be to require immediate elections, though given that
they are sometimes ineffective in creating responsive and effective governments,
the time, organization, and money required, it makes sense to have interim
alternatives to be used pending elections.

I suppose when a government is dissolved, a lot of the power ends up in the
hands of the administrative bureaucrats. Supposedly, when there is an elected
government in power, the bureaucrat's power is checked by elected
representatives, and the governor replaces the elected representatives. This
leads me to think that one alternative could be that the governor or a small
governing council be directly elected by the people as part of general
elections. This council takes over when the government is dissolved.
Alternatively, since we have bi-cameral legislatures, when a govenment is
dissolved, we could have administrative responsibility fall to the upper house
until elections can be held, or have a governing council drawn from the upper
house. Another alternative is to have a state's federal legislators [MP's]
somehow appoint a governing council.