Re: Prof. Guptara can't be serious

Professor Guptara's Comments:
>      If I am a Tantrist (which I am not), I must perforce consider other
>      alternatives either wrong or at least less right (or more exciting, or
>      more likely to yield results that I consider worthwhile) than Tantra -
>      or I would not be a Tantrist.
>
>      This is plain ordinary common sense as far as I can see, on the same
>      level as choosing a profession or indeed a brand of toothpaste.
>
>      Some derogatory remarks have been made about my comparison of choosing
>      the brand of toothpaste one might prefer to choosing between things of
>      greater significance.
>
>      As far as I can see the process of thinking one goes through
>      (whether in choosing one's brand of toothpaste, or one's opinions
>      regarding historical questions or political questions or ethical
>      questions or policies for IP)
>      is EXACTLY the same; one looks at alternatives and chooses the best  -
>      which implies that the other options are less good or perhaps
>      downright bad.

        I think this position is only partly correct. It is definitely incorrect
in the case of most of Indians (at least many that I had the opportunity
to discuss religion) when it comes to religion. A lot of us believe all paths
to be equally true, and one is free to choose a path that is most sutable for
his/her temperament. I am surprised that Dr. Guptara, who had written a booklet
on Indian spirituality, completely missed this beautiful concept of not mere
'tolerance' but wholehearted acceptance.