Re: Here we are: Prof. vs. Student!

The resolution, in policy terms, could be something like this:

primary education free to all, based on a voucher system (parents choose which
school to send their children to; schools are subsidised on the basis of the
number of children who choose to go there; the market resolves the problem of
quality, government does not bother to police who teaches whom what);

secondary education subsidised but not free (those living below the official
poverty level - I don't think I know what this is now, but that does not matter
- have scholarships/bursaries/freeships, call them what you like).  But
secondary school fees are kept low, in any case.  Any schools which are private
(or "public") schools can charge additional fees if they can get sufficient room
in the market.  Again, government does not bother with which school teaches
what, the market sorts out the question of quality, with "nationwide" school
exams say at age 15, 16 and 18 (or whatever is appropriate nowadays).  Does this
take away the present constitutional right of the states to provide/regulate
education?  Not necessarily.  All it does is to provide a nation-wide benchmark,
so that people of one state can compare the provision/achievement of their state
against that of the rest of the country;

university/tertiary education should be available for those who can either pay
for it themselves (entirely - no subsidies) or for those who are willing to
borrow money to pay for it (commercial loans from commercial organisations, as
in the UK/USA) or are willing to sign a bond to serve as teachers (on full pay)
for a certain number of years, wherever the national government sends them - say
for the same number of years as they undertake tertiary education.  After that
of course they are free to go wherever they like, including spending the rest of
their lives abroad if they have the opportunity to do so and want to do so.
Again, government does not bother with any "input" control, only focuses on
"output" control (I think the present system of exams throughout the country is
probably okay, except for the extensive cheating which goes on, and which must
be stopped).

I hope that with the success of IP policies, we will create conditions in India
such that people WANT to continue living in India and not give the benefit of
their talents to other countries.

Professor Prabhu Guptara
Director, Organisational and Executive Development
Wolfsberg Executive Development Centre
(a subsidiary of UBS AG)
CH-8272 Ermatingen
Switzerland